Why do we get joint pains?
There are various reasons for joint pains. According to Traditional Chinese medicine joint pains can happen due to :
- Excessive cold : Less heat in the body due to excessive coldness arising out of fear could lead to bad blood circulation which would develop into joint pains.
- Excessive humidity : Excessive dampness in the body can lead to very slow organs and heaviness in the body. The joints might be okay but the muscles around it pain because of the slowness in the organs.
- Excessive heat : Heat in the body can create burning in the synovial fluid between the big joints and this heat can injure the bones and tissues around the joints. Heat packs make the pain worse and its also associated with gout or excessive uric acid deposits in big toe or thumb etc
- Excessive dryness : When the synovial fluid that is present in movable joints dries up, the movement becomes painful.
- Excessive wind : Sometimes excessive gas bubbles gets stored in joints and causes pains.
How do we get rid of these pains?
To curb the pains caused by these factors, we need to curb these factors. For:
- Excessive cold and/or humidity : Chew 2 pepper seeds to increase heat and circulation which will remove cold and dampness.
- Excessive heat : Soak feet in lukewarm salt water for 15 mins, wipe the feet and massage the feet then apply any oil on the feet. It will get rid of all the uric acid accumulated in joints via urinary system.
- Excessive dryness : Apply warm ghee on the joints and on the navel.
- Excessive wind : Apply ginger paste on the joints. Make sure to sit in squatty position while passing stools – sit with your knees higher than your hips (use a foot stool). Lean forward and put your elbows on your knees. Relax and bulge out your stomach. Straighten your spine. It will make sure wind does not accumulate gas/wind in your joints. Gas will pass out from the large intestine.
Other ways to reduce joint pains
Warm ghee (clarified butter) massage
Massaging on the areas of pain with warm ghee, especially knees will help in subsiding the pain substantially for those who have non-rheumatic pains. Pain caused by cold, humidity, dryness and gas all are subsided by this treatment. Regular application of warm ghee on knees twice a day for 21 days will reduce the pain considerably.
Warm coconut oil with wintergreen oil
Wintergreen oil has long been known in the herbal medicines as a cure for joint pains caused by cold or excess humidity. If your pain increases after rainfall, then use this oil. Few drops of wintergreen oil in 3tsp of coconut oil will do wonders.
Warm coconut oil with sandalwood oil
Sandalwood oil is used from ages for joint pains, especially Arthritic pains. Sandalwood has the energy of a divine wood. It is not an ordinary tree. It has very high spiritual properties that is why it is used to treat mental and emotional problems also. It is also used for insomnia. One of the reasons for knee pain is lack of support from family members, and sandalwood oil which comes from sandalwood tree provides this support.
Lemongrass has proven very good for osteoarthritis and rheumatic arthritis in various studies. Use 1 or 2 drops of Lemongrass tea oil in warm water with/without honey daily once for 21 days to see the effect of this miraculous tea.
Knee pain :-
Press around the knees gently and ask the patient to breathe out from mouth with “foo” sound as you press. It will release the pain quickly.
Sujok Points – Second joints of middle and ring fingers represent knees. Massaging these joints also releases pains. Alternatively you can tie methi (fenugreek) seeds around the second joint. Keep it for 2-4 hours. It will significantly lower the pain and strengthen the knees.
Bach Flower Remedies
When joint pain is related with these behaviours, you can also use Bach Flower remedies. Take 6 c concentration and have 4 drops 4 times a day.
For Rigid Behavior – Rock Water
For Controlling Behaviour – Beech
For Guilt – Pine and Larch
Love is Lubrication
Best of all treatments of all times is Love Healing. Love your knees. They will start to get better as your love increases. The feeling of love creates various hormones that are shown to be pain-relieving.
Note : Patients with Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia also have joint pains but it is related to not leading a purposeful life. Their pain is not physical. It is purely energetic. That is why when you talk to these patients about what they love, the pain disappears immediately. It returns only when they are not talking about their passions.
Leave a comment for us with your valuable thoughts and experiences. We grow together!
Anupriya is an Alternative Educator, Holistic Healing Trainer, Trance Medium and now an Author who has mastered many different healing and teaching modalities. She has worked in La Wisdom Alternative Learning Center in Bangalore for 2 years. She has educated children and parents on varied topics like emotional awareness, casteism in india, team work, career choices and addiction awareness etc. She continues to intrigue the minds of young people with her logical and experimental approach. Having gone through her own painful spiritual journey, she also learnt every healing modality that she could get her hands on. She has been training people in – Meditations, Reiki Energy Healing, Emotional Freedom technique, different forms of Acupressure and Reflexology, Ayurvedic Colour Therapy, Sujok, Naturopathy, Bach Flower Remedies, Chakra Healing, Angel Healing and Pendulum Dowsing etc from past 5 years. She has also developed faster healing methods for trauma and abuse victims using various guided meditations, creative visualisations and breathwork. Her faster methods work best with working professionals who have little to no time for themselves and children who have no patience as she teaches very quick tips and tricks to recover from painful circumstances. She also offers longer ‘energy and consciousness’ courses for adults, teenagers and children who wish to awaken a deeper human and spiritual awareness within them.