Meaning of Reiki
Reiki (pronounced ray-key), simply translated from Japanese, means spiritual energy.
REI – means Spirit or Spiritual
KI – means Energy
It is a holistic, light-touch and energy-based healing modality. Mikao Usui introduced an energy-based healing system called Usui Reiki Ryoho in Japan during the late 1800’s to early 1900’s. (pronounced Ew-suey Ray-key Rye-oh-ho, translated from Japanese, means Usui Reiki Healing Method)
Today, Reiki has been expanded and diversified under various names, but many teachers continues to teach the original three level format known today as Usui Shiki Ryoho.
REI – implied meaning is Conscious, intelligent, aware, all-knowing. In Hindu philosophy this can be compared to the idea of SHIVA.
KI – means life-force energy. It is also known as Chi/Qi [China], Prana [India] and Huna [Hawaii]. In Hindu philosophy this can be compared to the idea of SHAKTI.
So REI+KI = SHIVA+SHAKTI
It is wisdom and energy combined.
How Does Reiki Help?
Our physical body is sensitive to the energy of thoughts and emotions. When we experience negative feelings or thoughts about ourselves, we develop negative thought patterns and beliefs. When we experience a physical or emotional shock, this affects our energy field, creating emotional and physiological blockages that eventually disrupt our health.
- Reiki re-establishes a normal flow of energy (Ki) within the body to heal all 5 bodies or koshas(sheaths) – physical, emotional, mental, energetic and spiritual bodies.
- Reiki frees and aligns the body’s energy system, which in turn releases pain on all levels – physical, emotional, mental and spiritual.
- Reiki aids the body in releasing stress and tension by creating deep relaxation and it restores energy balance and vitality by relieving the physical and emotional effects of unreleased stress.
- It gently and effectively opens blocked meridians (energy pathways) and chakras (energy centres) and clears the energy bodies, leaving you feeling relaxed and at peace.
- Since it is a conscious energy, it awakens your dormant intuitive powers and starts to guide you throughout your life. You will not even realise the subtle changes that will start happening on their own.
- Reiki detoxes all the bodies. It is normal if you puke, have fever or cough after learning Reiki.
Who can learn Reiki?
But some people need it more than others. This is like amrit (elixir) for them.
- Especially people who are in search of answers.
- People who are not finding their calling or life purpose and feel lost or misguided.
- People who are in a lot of emotional pain like abuse victims.
The only basic requirement to learn Reiki is that the student should be open minded. They must be willing to take responsibility to alter negative life patterns to create their own healing.
That is why I give disclaimer to people who come to my classes – “Reiki Changes your life.” And I ask them questions – “Are you ready for that change? Are you comfortable to let go of past version of you?”
Reiki is simple and provides measurable results – in essence, it is divine power, light and love.